Creating the site in PBWiki was as the Hawaiians say "wiki wiki". The registering and set-up is really quick and easy. The next step is to use it functionally. My thought for use of my wiki is not so much student related as it is staff related. We are adding an advisory period to our day. The students in each grade are separated onto to teams of teachers. These teams are responsible for creating the advisory curriculum. I thought what a great collaboration tool for our team to use to generate an archive of the curriculum as we go through this school year. I think by having the teachers on my team use the wiki in this manner, they will be come comfortable with it and then maybe discover ways that they could use it in their subjects. Our teams consist of a teacher from each major discipline (math, science, social studies and English), a special education teacher, and what we call non-core subjects like computers and swimming. As I explored the different wiki sites and resources I was amazed at all the different uses of the wikis. I found a Star Wars wiki. What an interesting concept for the true fans to be able to join together and create a site that talks about all the behind the scenes hidden messages and the history of characters, planets and spaceships. As a former math teacher I liked the idea of a wiki for the students to generate the study guide for a unit test or final exam. Like blogging limitless possibilities.
My PBWiki page is the following: http://advisory7.pbwiki.com/7th-Grade-Advisory-Hour
Keep checking back there from time to time to check the progress. Especially after the school year starts.
Monday, June 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment